Friday, October 12, 2012

Paleo(ish)

Hi all! Again, it's been too long since I've posted, what can I say? Life just gets in the way, I guess. Hopefully, now that I'm back on a more structured way of eating, I'll be more apt to post. For awhile there, my failure at this weight loss thing was getting me down and I didn't think I had anything worthy to say. :( But, an update! Two weeks ago, I started to follow a Paleo(ish) way of eating. Basically this means no sugar, grain, dairy, or legumes. I say paleo(ish) because you are really supposed to consume only grass-fed meats, but I cannot afford to feed my family only grassfed, so, I'm doing the best I can. What prompted this change was a lot of reading up on diets for people dealing with chronic pain. For over two years now I've been dealing with chronic shoulder pain. 16 doctors, 2 surgeries, and lots of tests later, I have no diagnosis and no indication of what to do to make it any better. After reading up on the subject, it appears that sugar, grain, and dairy cause inflammation in the body and reducing or eliminating them can cause a reduction in pain. Worth a shot, right?! Basically, I'm eating a lot of meats (mostly lean), vegetables, fruit, and nuts. Although the first few days were pure hell, it's gotten SO much better. I find that I am MUCH less hungry, I eat less, and I do feel a little better, energy wise. It's interesting to see how these changes are you going to work. HOPEFULLY, the pain will reduce, but, no such luck yet. It's still early. The amazing thing is how I have so few cravings. Before, I was always wanting chips or fries or a cupcake, and now, I just don't crave those things. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are days that I'd shank someone for a piece of chocolate, but, all in all, the cravings are gone. Love it! Have I lost weight? I don't know. I think so. I didn't weigh when I started, which I know sounds pretty odd. However, I will let myself be ruled by the scale, and I can't let that happen. So, I weighed at my last doctor's appointment, and I'll weigh at my next one, in December, until then, I'm going on how I feel...which is pretty darn good! My pants are looser and so is my ring, so that's a good sign. That's my update. Has anyone out there tried paleo? What did you think?

1 comment:

  1. Paleo intrigues me and I love that it comes from the cavemen!

    ReplyDelete